I.Project Background and Rationale
The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) being the primary policy, planning, coordinating, implementing, and administrative entity of the Executive Branch of the government that plans, develops, and promotes the national information and communications technology (ICT) development agenda, is implementing programs that promote inclusive growth by providing each Filipino and Filipina access to vital ICT infostructure and services which they need to become innovators that are able to transform the country into a world-class digital economy, and take advantage of the economic opportunities that an ICT-enabled economy brings.
The programs of the DICT support Government’s efforts to integrate the experiences and concerns of both women and men in the design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of policies, programs and projects in all social, political, civil, and economic spheres so that women and men benefit equally as stipulated in the Magna Carta for Women (MCW). It is in this light that the DICT will hold its Second Gender and Development (GAD) Summit. The summit shall be a venue where experiences and discussions on gender-related matters are shared about, and new ideas discovered.
The Gender and Development (GAD) Summit theme for 2018 is “Gender Empowerment Towards Social and Economic Development”
The GAD Summit aims to:
- Discuss gender and social issues, and how they affect ICT, as well as how advancements in ICT affect these issues;
- Discuss areas where gender equality issues are located and how the principles of gender equality, sensitivity, and responsiveness may be upheld in these situations;
- Discuss and exchange good practices on effective strategies for combating gender bias/stereotypes/inequalities; and
- Provide a venue for the DICT to share GAD-related achievements in its projects as well as the Department’s current and future GAD-related initiative
The participants for the Summit are:
- Representatives from:
- The DICT Central Office including members of the EXECOM, members of the GAD Technical Working Group, the GAD Focal Persons, the Directors and Division Chiefs of the Bureaus and Services or their representatives, and Project Managers;
- The DICT Regional Offices including the Regional Directors, the Assistant Directors, the GAD Focal Persons, and regional staff assisting in the implementation of GAD initiatives;
- The attached agencies of the DICT —the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC), the National Privacy Commission (NPC), and the Cybercrime Investigation and Coordinating Centers (CICC) – not included in initial participant count; and
- Department Partners.
The GAD Summit shall be spearheaded by the GAD Focal Point System and the GAD Technical Working Group of the DICT, assisted by the Gender and Development Office of the DICT.