This is in relation to reports involving individuals posing as delivery personnel of Private Express and/or Messengerial Delivery Service (PEMEDES) or courier service operators.
It has been reported to the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) that unscrupulous individuals have been posing as delivery personnel of PEMEDES or courier service operators. In the reported instances, these individuals pretend that a package is being delivered to a recipient on a Cash-On-Delivery (COD) basis despite the latter not making such purchase. These individuals then insist on payment from the recipient once the package is opened.
For the general public’s protection, please be warned and wary of this modus. When faced with such circumstances, here is what you can do:
- Do not accept packages that you, your family, or your household did not purchase;
- Verify the transaction and contact the named recipient of the package to make sure that the package was actually ordered;
- If the package was actually ordered, immediately check if its contents are what was ordered by you or the named recipient;
- If possible, try to record a self-video while opening the package. Should its contents be wrong, the recorded self-video can be used as evidence; and
- Take a photo of the office I.D. or get the details of the delivery personnel to make sure that they are legitimate personnel.
Should you have questions or would like to report such or similar instances to the DICT, you can email us at email@example.com. Together, we can deter these individuals from taking advantage of other people.