The Philippine Startup Challenge 5 (PSC5) is all set as 15 schools were named by the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) to compete in the final round on 5 April 2019 at the Grand Xing Hotel, Iloilo City.
From 30 semifinalists, the selection committee,made up of tech and business startup leaders, handpicked the 15 most promising startup ideas from students of various universities nationwide that will vie for the national competition.
The finalists were chosen based on customer validation (40%), execution and design (30%) and business model validation (30%).
Qualifying startup ideas for this year range from off-the-grid charging device solution to web-based application for donations.
The PSC5 Top five Winners will receive Php 200,000.00 each from the Department of Science and Technology’s Philippine Council for Industry, Energy, and Emerging Technology Research and Development (DOST-PCIEERD) to assist the teams in product prototype development.
The PSC5 National Winner will also become part of Huawei’s Seeds of the Future Program, a two-week college undergraduate study program to be held in China that shall equip them with ICT-based skills and knowledge. They also automatically qualify for the 2019 IdeaSpaceBootcamp.
Leading up to the final round, this year’s PSC received 242 entries, a 20% increase in number from the previous edition.
Ms. Emmy Lou V. Delfin, Director IV of the ICT Industry Development Bureau (IIDB), attributes the rise in the number or entries to an increased awareness of students in startups.
“We are taking this as a sign that there are more students taking interest in startup activities, and hopefully, with our Bureau’s initiatives, we can support them further so they can continue their efforts. We see this as a challenge to continue improving our digitalPH startup programs and empowering the youth,” Delfin said.
The PSC5 Top 15 teams are:
- BFree (Team TechnoVators, University of Science and Technology of Southern Philippines) – An off-the-grid solution for charging smartphones, laptops, and any possible portable devices.
- CueCar (Team CueCar, PHINMA University of Iloilo) – A web and mobile application that provides immediate assistance in case of car emergencies and road related accidents.2
- Gabay (Team PN, La Consolacion College-Bacolod) – A platform that will inspect, evaluate establishments that are not in compliance with RA 344.
- Lak-Bay-Kah (Team #CMD, Gordon College) – All-in-One travel planning app where users can create and share their own itinerary to other users and enjoy free benefits from the popularity of their destinations.
- Mathjestic Quest (Team C.A.L.M, Davao Central College) – A mobile app solution that can increase the motivation of the students while learning mathematics in a very fun way.
- Ogop (Team Ogop, RC-Al Khwarzmi International College Foundation, Inc.) – Is an online bayanihan system that allows anyone or anybody to be a donor and aid disaster victims in a more efficient and effective way.
- PASS (Team SABAY, Computer Arts and Technology College / Bicol University) – Is an online review platform for everyone taking up licensure/entrance exams that provide coaching and high quality content created by outstanding instructors.
- Proximap (Team Y.A.N.A, University of the Cordillleras) – An Augmented Reality Advertising and Navigation Mobile Application
- Puntos (Team Runi, La Consolacion College Bacolod) – is an online loyalty platform that allows business establishments to retain their loyal customers thru launching customizable campaigns with perks and rewards.
- Qantina (Team Magis, Saint Louis University) – A platform that lets college students, office workers or health buffs to order and have meals delivered from home-cooks, aspiring chefs or restaurants around them.
- Qrent (Team Victorem, Saint Louis University) – A web-based and mobile platform that is designed for safe, secured, and convenient rental transactions between renters and item owners.
- Rentalbee (Team Rentalbee, Far Eastern University) – An online marketplace that helps students find safe and quality accommodation near their school or university.
- ReTrack (Team RTK Incorporated, Western Mindanao State University) – A system that aims to ease the lives of the jeepney commuters.
- Tara G!(Team Bits Please!, Gordon College) – Gamifying your travel experience.
- Vittles (Team FoodSaverBulacan State University) – A mobile and web-based application which digitizes and provides a safe, easy, and efficient access for the donation and delivery of excess edible food.