The overall objective of the eLGU project is to revolutionize local governance by making the LGUs electronically enabled thereby improving the delivery of public service, promoting transparency in government transactions and increasing public access to government information services, among others.
Specifically, the objectives of the project are:
- To increase public access to information and services thru assistance in establishing interactive citizens-centric web presence and setting up community e-centers (CeCs) in selected pilot LGUs;
- To improve assessment, billing and collection of real property and business taxes;
- To build capability of LGU personnel to operate and maintain applications systems;
- To institutionalize ICT use in LGUs;
- To ensure smooth transition from the current state- manual transactions- to the desired state- electronic governance; and
- To showcase successful strategies and best practices in LGUs.
The eLGU project currently undertakes the development of mission-critical system applications which uses open source technology, is web and Geographic Information System (GIS) – enabled and is particularly aimed at supporting the LGU’s revenue collection function.
- Electronic Real Property Tax System (eRPTS) automates the four key functions in the LGUs real estate taxing operations.
- Electronic Business Permit and Licensing System (eBPLS) automates the processing of business permit application, assessment, collection and release and report generation.
- Electronic Treasury Operations Management System (eTOMS) covers all business processes performed by the Treasury Office of an LGU. The eTOMS development design has not been accepted as complete and contract with the developer was terminated. The developer was not capable to deliver the system and there was a change in policy requirements from BLGF and COA.
Under the eLGU project, a total of 110 eLGU CeCs were established in 2008. The success of this component led to the creation and implementation of the Philippine Community eCenter (PhilCeC) Program.
Status: Started in September 2002 – On-going