The Philippines strongly recognizes the global community’s call for digital infrastructure and increase ICTs and telecommunication services towards a digital economy.
LEVERAGING ROBUST INFRASTRUCTURE
- The Philippines increased its internet speeds with average download speed of 83.37 Mbps and average upload speed of 82.18 Mbps in fixed broadband. For mobile broadband, average download speed increased from 9.53 Mbps to 45.48 Mbps and average upload speed of 9.09 Mbps of mobile broadband.
- The Broadband ng Masa program, formerly the National Broadband Plan, was approved by former Philippine President, Rodrigo Roa Duterte in 2017 and was launched in June 2017 as a main flagship program.
- The Government Network Project (GovNet) which aims to connect government offices and the public establishments have connected around 1000 government agencies.
- A total of 4,563 live sites have been established through the Free Wi-Fi for All in Public Places project.
ENSURING UNIVERSAL ICT ACCESS
- In 2018, the Philippines received guidance and support from the ITU in the creation of a Terms of Reference in selecting a “New Major Telco Player.
- In June 2022, the Philippines’ Initiative on Free Wi-Fi for All in Geographically Isolated and Disadvantaged Areas in Western Mindanao was awarded the WSIS prize 2022 for creating a cost-efficient network in the remote islands of Basilan, Sulu, and Tawi- tawi.
COMMITMENTS IN DIGITAL INFRASTRUCTURE
- Share the Philippines’ experiences and methodologies in improving resiliency and sustainability in Digital Infrastructure, not only in the Philippines but in other developing member states as well, in the global pursuit to provide equal, indiscriminate, and open access to the internet, and to create more opportunities for individuals and communities.
- Share the country’s best practices for Disaster Response through ICT. The unforeseen occurrence of natural calamities and manmade disasters in the world has highlighted the powerful role of ICT in preventing and mitigating damage to human lives and properties.